At our recent Annual Member Meeting, we talked about how BikeWalkKC is partnering with organizations and municipalities across state lines to redefine our streets as places for people. You can catch up on our reports from the Education, Bike Share, Community Planning, and Advocacy departments on our YouTube channel. And we recommend you do, because we have a lot to be proud of this year.
But today, we’re celebrating the work our friends and members have been doing in their own neighborhoods. We asked the Annual Member Meeting attendees how they are creating a culture of active living in their own corner of the metro, and this is what they had to say:
- “We walk and ride bikes to shops, grocery stores, bars, 3rd places etc. We shop at bike/walk friendly stores and make it a point to know people in our community, shops etc and support them.”
- “Just got appointed to the City of Shawnee Bicycle Advisory Committee for 2021-2022”
- “Road Diet tests in our neighborhood”
- “Trying to bike or walk visibly, to places where people will see me arrive, to expand their ideas of what might be possible for them. Making full use of the Trolley Track Trail nearly every day!”
- “Walking and running through neighborhood, talking to neighbors.”
- “I launched a cycling group!”
- “Lots and lots of walking! Trying to figure out good short mid-range rides for the family in the city.”
From big projects like the Rock Island/Katy Trail Connections, to every day fun like getting outside with the kids, our members are engaged in their communities. They ride the bus, they apply to their city’s boards and commissions, and they show their neighbors that safer streets are possible. Our members power this work, both financially and socially. Without their support, we would not have reached 30,000 students with bicycle and pedestrian education. And without their civic engagement and role-modeling, we would not have enabled Complete Streets and Vision Zero legislation in city halls throughout the metro. As we look back on 1o years of BikeWalkKC, we are grateful to have each of you along for the journey.