Women Bike KC is an initiative of BikeWalkKC that provides education, resources and encouragement to get more cis and trans women, femme, and non-binary people on bicycles, participating in our community as riders and leaders. We support people of all riding styles and confidence levels, and we work to break down the barriers that prevent more people from riding.
Women's Bike Summit
Saturday, September 30, 2023
Johnson County Central Resource Library
Overland Park, Kansas
Don't miss our Women Bike KC Warm-Up Events April-August!
Stay in Touch
Connect with the Women Bike KC community all year round!
Subscribe to the Women Bike KC newsletter list
Join the Women Bike KC Facebook group
Hear Their Stories
Who are the women leading, supporting, and riding with the Kansas City bicycling community?
Listen to (or read) the 2018 Bicycle Dialogues stories
Read the 2014 Women Bike KC profiles
We envision a Kansas City where girls and women feel confident to ride their bikes, where there is a supportive and inclusive network of women who ride, and where there are facilities that are accessible to every rider. Specifically, Women Bike KC has the following long-term vision:
- Advocate for public support of bicycling infrastructure that considers the safety and accessibility for all women and children
- Increase women’s ridership in Greater Kansas City through the awareness of different types and levels of cycling
- Create a network of women who support each other and bicycling as a means of transportation, recreation, socialization, and fitness
- Encourage women to set the precedent for healthy, active lifestyles in their families through cycling
- Create programming and outreach activities that are inclusive of all cultures, ages, socioeconomic backgrounds
The Women Bike KC initiative was first launched on May 10, 2014, when BikeWalkKC hosted the first Kansas City Women’s Bike Summit. The event was a huge success with more than 150 women in attendance. At our first summit, we asked each of the women to identify what was the biggest obstacle for women to get into bicycling. 34% said safety and lack of confidence stopped them from riding their bikes. 24% said they didn’t bike because of a lack of a network. The Women Bike KC Initiative provides solutions to these barriers and is a result of the momentum from the first summit and demand for further work around women and bicycles. Since then, we’ve been hard at work:
- Passed an anti-harassment ordinance in KCMO that protects all vulnerable road users
- Partnering with WIN for KC and Family Bicycles to conduct bicycling units at the annual Camp WIN
- Hosted the Women’s Bike Summit in 2015, 2016, and 2018, with topics ranging from bike advocacy to bike maintenance
- Holding women-focused Confident City Cycling and Maintain Your Ride clinics
- Teaching bicycle safety to Girl Scout troops across Kansas City
- Partnered with Amethyst Place to promote family wellness and bonding over bikes
- Formed the Women Bike KC Facebook group - join here!