BikeWalkKC offers training, tools, programs, resources, and technical assistance to help you design a Safe Routes to School program or to improve the infrastructure around your school. We offer several programs to bring instruction to your students, train your teachers, and encourage students and families to walk and bike to school.
Training and professional development
Nationally-certified trainers equip your teachers and professionals with the knowledge, skills, tools, etc. to develop and implement programs at your school. Example programs:
- Walking School Buses
- Bike Trains
- Bike safety lessons
- Pickup and drop off improvements
- Bike Rodeos
- Mileage Clubs
We can help you with…
- Student Travel Plans
- District policy review
- Walking and Biking Audits of the neighborhood around the school
We offer several programs directly to your students:
- BLAST (Bike Lesson and Safety Training) – bring our bike fleet into your 5th grade P.E. classes for intensive bike safety and bike skills training, culminating in a graduation ride. More about BLAST.
- Earn-A-Bike – students learn bike maintenance skills by repairing a used bike, and graduate with a bike of their own to keep
- Youth Ambassadors – develops advocates for active living by giving students skills to engage with the broader community about ways to improve walking and biking.
- Assemblies – Brief safety presentations geared for large group formats
BikeWalkKC’s grant-writing expertise and innovative fundraising strategies have brought hundreds of thousands of dollars to local schools and provided the necessary resources to deliver programs and fund infrastructure improvements.
- Federal transportation grants via MoDOT and KDOT
- Foundation grants