Our mission is to redefine our streets as places for people to build a culture of active living.
A Greater Kansas City where everyone moves through the city and its public spaces equitably, safely, comfortably, and sustainably.
Theory of Change
Walking and biking are simple solutions to complex problems of environment, health, transportation, disparity, opportunity, economy, and more.
BikeWalkKC is a member-supported 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that works to make Greater Kansas City a safer and more accessible place to walk, bicycle, live, work, and play.
Advocacy programs work with local cities to improve policies and build sidewalks, trails, crosswalks, bike lanes, and more.
- Complete KC: Our newest campaign to redesign our streets for people of all ages and abilities.
- Safe Routes to School: Our work to make it safer for kids to walk and bike to school.
Education programs give people the knowledge and skills to walk and to bicycle safely and confidently for transportation, recreation, and fitness.
- Youth Education: Our in- and after-school programs teaching kids bike safety and traffic skills.
- Adult Education: Our range of programs teaching adults confident cycling skills and planners better street design.
Watch this video to see how BikeWalkKC's youth education programs are helping to fight the childhood obesity epidemic, courtesy of KCPT's Take Note.
Events promote a culture change that puts biking and walking into people's daily lives.
- Tour de Bier KC: A historic brewery ride throughout Kansas City with an end party at Knucklehead's Saloon.
- Tweed Ride: A vintage-inspired bicycle ride through the Historic Northeast neighborhood.
- Women's Bike Summit: A biennial educational summit providing encouragement and networking opportunities for female bicyclists in Kansas City.
- Handlebar Happy Hour/social events: Social gatherings at a bar/restaurant/fitness center/park to ride bikes and talk about neighborhood bicycling/walking concerns.
Bike sharing gives more people access to bicycles throughout Kansas City and gets more bikes on the streets. BikeWalkKC operates Kansas City's bike share system, RideKC Bike. We were the very first advocate-owned bike sharing system in the country.
Because we are a member-supported organization, we depend on on our members to continue to make a difference in Kansas City.
Commitment to Equity, Inclusion and Diversity
BikeWalkKC has a commitment to support diversity and equal opportunity in its programs, services, administration, employment, research, and activities. As such we strive to foster a working environment that values contributions from team members regardless of race, color, creed, gender, religion, culture, sexual orientation, sexual identity, mental disabilities, physical disabilities, or veteran status.
In compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, all BikeWalkKC programs operate without regard to race, color, or national origin. For additional information on BikeWalkKC's Title VI obligations or to to file a complaint, please contact Executive Director Eric Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org.