BikeWalkKC has joined this year’s Green Commute Challenge, and we want YOU to join our team!
The Green Commute Challenge runs for 12 weeks (during the height of the ozone season), and all we ask is that you choose alternatives to driving alone whenever possible — carpool, bus, streetcar, vanpool, cycling, walking and telecommuting. Yes, riding Bike Share counts, too! Simply record your Green Commute trips to earn points for the BikeWalkKC team and get entered in drawings for daily, weekly and monthly prizes.
How to sign up:
- Create a Rideshare account: click the “Register” icon on the top right of the screen to provide your name, email address, and a password of your choosing. Be sure to confirm your email. (Hint: if you don’t see the confirmation email in your inbox, check your spam folder.)
- Click on “Challenge Manager” under the “Green Commute Challenge” tab.
- Search for the BikeWalkKC Community Team (under the “Organization Size Group < 250” section) and click the ‘JOIN’ button to the left of the team name.
How to log your trips:
- Once you have joined the team, you can add your trips to build up our points. From the main Green Commute Challenge page, click on “For Commuters” from the menu on the top bar and select, “Log My Trips.”
- Choose which transportation mode you’re using by selecting one of the icons from the Travel Modes box on the right, and drag it to the corresponding date on the calendar.
- A menu box will pop up and prompt you to input your start/origin address and your stop/destination address. If you plan to commute to and from the same address, click the “Return Trip” radio button on the bottom left.
- Hit “Save” to add your trip! You may then click the green “Save” icon above the calendar date to save this trip data for future use, if you wish.
Going multi-modal – say, bike + bus or walk + streetcar? You may also report that in the Challenge, provided the bicycling or walking trip is at least one mile round-trip. Just log each leg as a separate commute trip.
Carpooling to lunch? Walking to a meeting? Those trips count too! Log them like you would a regular commute trip—just add the details for that specific trip.
We know you’re already biking and walking, so join Team BikeWalkKC and let’s show KC how we do things!
Questions? Contact Karen Campbell at email@example.com.