“Rail with Trail” example
Planning for the Jackson County regional rail system is under way with another round of public meetings. We need your help to speak up for walking and bicycling at these meetings. While the overall plan includes a great trail system to be built alongside the rail corridors, trails are not part of the current study being conducted for federal funding. Local leaders need to hear from voters like you that “rail with trail” is important to the community. It’s also important to ask about several other details that will make the rail system truly integrated with walking and bicycling.
So, we need you to attend one of these public meetings and speak up with these talking points.
- Please include trails in the current Alternatives Analysis.
- Build new sidewalks and bike lanes connecting to train stations.
- Allow bikes to be rolled onto trains for mult-modal connections.
- Include bike sharing stations at train stations.
- Include bike parking (racks and lockers) at train stations.
- Develop a suburban bus network to move people between train stations, office parks, other employment centers.
- Make the trails hard surface for year-round transportation usage.
Regional Rail Community Meeting
Tuesday, November 29th, 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Gamber Center, 4 SE Independence Ave., Lee’s Summit, Mo.
Presentatoions at 4:15 p.m. and 5:15 p.m.
(Drop-in only, no formal presentations)
Nov. 30, 2011 | 4–6 p.m. | Mid-Continent Library, 2220 South 7 Hwy, Blue Springs, Mo.
Dec. 1, 2011 | 4–6 p.m. | Southeast Community Center, 4201 E. 63rd St., Kansas City, Mo.
Learn more about the Regional Rail and KC Streetcar projects at www.kcsmartmoves.org.
BikeWalkKC is a part of the KC Regional Transit Alliance’s Jackson County Commuter Rail Coalition.