The Broadway Bridge, aka Buck O’Neil Bridge, is the next Missouri River bridge due for replacement. If you drive over this bridge, you have probably seen people walking there – despite the fact that there is no safe place to walk. People walk on the very narrow median between four lanes of high speed traffic, or against the outer barrier high above the Missouri River.
This is currently debate about repairing the current bridge or replacing it with a new bridge. Local leaders want to build a new bridge that will include bike/pedestrian access and allow for designing or eliminating part of the downtown freeway loop. MoDOT wants repair the bridge and make it last another 40-50 years. This could preclude adding bike/ped access or moving the north loop for another generation.
The City’s bike plan and trails plan both include the Broadway Bridge corridor as a future bikeway and trail route. BikeWalkKC has begun engaging decision-makers at City Hall, the Downtown Council, the Mid-America Regional Council, and MoDOT to ensure that a safe place to walk and bike is including in the planning, design, and construction of any new bridge.
- BikeWalkKC Blog: Beyond the Loop Will Explore New Ideas for Downtown Highways
- Pedestrian Safety a Glaring Issue for Future of Buck O’Neil Bridge, KSHB-TV, 6/2/2017
- Pedestrian Critically Injured After Being Struck on Buck O’Neil Bridge, Fox 4 KC-TV, 5/30/2017
- KC Council calls for pressure to fund new Buck O’Neil Bridge — without GO bonds funds, Kansas City Star, 4/20/2017
- Repair or replace: Future of Buck O’Neil Bridge, KSHB-TV, 4/14/2017
- Possible shutdown of Buck O’Neil Bridge for repair lights a fire in rush for grander option, Kansas City Star, 3/12/2017
- Kansas City’s Buck O’Neil Bridge could face a two-year shutdown starting in 2019, Kansas City Star, 3/2/2017
- Five ways to cross the Missouri River without a car, KCUR-FM, 7/1/2015
BikeWalkKC’s professional advocacy staff serve on several stakeholder committees that have roles in setting transportation priorities for the region, including:
- KCMO Bike/Ped Advisory Committee
- MARC Bike/Ped Advisory Committee
- Downtown Council Infrastructure Committee
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce Surface Transportation Committee