Ordinance #080515, adopted 5/15/2008
COMMITTEE SUBSTITUTE FOR ORDINANCE NO. 080515
Amending Chapter 2, Code of Ordinances, by enacting Division 14 of Article VI, which establishes the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee.
BE IT ORDAINED BY THE COUNCIL OF KANSAS CITY:
Section 1. That Chapter 2, Code of Ordinances of the City of Kansas City, Missouri, is hereby amended by enacting Division 14 of Article VI which establishes the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee, to read as follows:
ARTICLE VI. BOARDS, COMMISSIONS AND COMMITTEES
Division 14. Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee.
Sec. 2-980. Committee established; membership; officers.
There is hereby created and established a committee to be known as the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee. The committee shall be composed of thirteen members. Each councilperson (other than the Mayor) shall recommend one member, and upon these recommendations, twelve committee members shall be appointed by the mayor to serve two-year terms,. The mayor shall appoint one additional committee member to serve as chairperson of the committee.. The mayor shall fill any vacancy on the committee by appointing a new member, in the same manner as the original appointment, to serve a two-year term. Regardless of the length of service, all committee members terms shall end on the day that the councilmanic terms end, provided that each member shall serve until his or her successor has been appointed. The members of the committee shall serve without compensation and shall be subject to removal by the mayor. The following departments shall each designate one employee to serve the committee in an advisory capacity: City Development, Public Works, Parks and Recreation, Water Services, Health, Neighborhood and Community Services, and Police.
Sec. 2-981. Duties of the committee.
(a) The Committee is charged with recommending to the Mayor and City Council ways to make Kansas City more bicycle and pedestrian friendly. The Committee will be the formal means through which active citizen participation is provided to advise the Mayor and City Council on policy and implementation for bicycle and pedestrian issues, such as the following:
(1) Proposing policies to achieve Platinum designation by the League of American Bicyclists by the year 2020.
(2) Providing oversight of the implementation of the Citywide Trails Plan through an annual review of its progress
(3) Researching best practices for an integrated approach of education, enforcement, and engineering strategies to improve bicycle and pedestrian safety.
(4) Increasing bicycle ridership and pedestrian traffic by developing an integrated bikeway system for commuter and recreational use.
(5) Prioritizing bicycle and pedestrian related projects to be completed by City departments.
(6) Creating a bikeway plan that integrates the current Bike KC and Citywide Trails Plans.
(7) Integrating best practicing and recommending standards and guidelines for bicycle amenities and pedestrian facilities.
(8) Partnering with local agencies and organizations to enhance the safety of Kansas Citys streets for all modes of transportation by providing education and enforcement events and activities.
(9) Other bicycle and pedestrian issues deemed appropriate by the Committee.
(b) The committee will meet at least eight times per year. The Chairperson shall set the time and place for the first meeting, and the schedule for subsequent, regular meetings shall be set at the first meeting.
(c) The committee shall make an annual report of its recommendations to the City Council. The committee may make additional reports to the Council as it determines to be necessary.
Approved as to form and legality:
M. Margaret Sheahan Moran
Assistant City Attorney