The proposed budget has been released in KCMO! This enormous document lays out what the city plans to fund for the next fiscal year starting May 1st. Everything from housing and stormwater to public art and emergency services is included. There’s also funding for transportation.
The big wins for walking and biking in recent years have been protected and important investments would continue to be made in safety and accessibility.
The more than $8 million investments include:
- $5 million for sidewalk repair
- $2.5 million for ADA curb ramps
- $500,000 for Complete Streets
- $500,000 for Vision Zero street safety improvements
- $125,000 to expand the RideKC Bike Share program
(operated by BikeWalkKC in partnership with City of KCMO and other local governments)
- Continuation of funding for Zero Fare Transit
A dedicated crosswalk team was created in 2015 thanks to your budget advocacy!
There’s also a number of sidewalk repairs, traffic calming measures, and park improvements for each council district identified in the budget.
This is a good starting point, but we need your voice to ensure all of these items make it through the budget process and get approved by the City Council.
One area of concern we have is with the Office of Environmental Quality (OEQ), which is proposed to be moved out of the City Manager’s office. Sustainability must remain a top priority for KCMO, and OEQ should remain in the City Manager’s office to ensure City Hall’s climate protection efforts are coordinated across departments and not siloed.
How can you advocate for better walking and biking in the budget?
- Attend one of the public meetings for the budget:
- Saturday, February 19 at 9:00 am (virtual)
- Wednesday, February 23 at 6:00 pm (hybrid, City Hall - 26th Floor)
- Saturday, March 5 at 9:00 am (virtual)
- Use this zoom link to join
- Before the meeting, be sure to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Proposed Budget" in the subject line to request to speak and include your name and council district.
- Any person with a disability desiring reasonable accommodation to participate in this meeting may contact 311 or (816) 513-1313 for TTY 513-1889 or by email at email@example.com.
- Reach out directly to your council members:
- Email your council members to ask them to support walking and biking in the upcoming budget.
- Send the email to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Proposed Budget” in the subject line.
- CC your council members and their legislative aides.
What to say
Your public testimony or emails can be as simple as “I support the investments in walking and biking in the proposed city budget.” Your input will be most powerful if you can add a personal note about why walking and biking are important to you and your family.
Your direct participation in the annual budget process is one of the most important ways you can advocate for active transportation funding in KCMO. We need your voice to make those priorities clear for the City Council!