It’s budget season in Wyandotte County! BikeWalkKC has worked hard to improve the built environment for cyclists and pedestrians in KCK over the past year through our education efforts with Safe Routes to School and through our advocacy efforts with Healthy Communities Wyandotte.
Something that is crucial to supporting those efforts is the annual budget. That’s because it is often the main source of funding for a number of important endeavors, including:
- Street repair and maintenance
- Construction of new crosswalks near schools
- Helping with the upkeep of parks and public spaces
This is why BikeWalkKC needs your help. We need YOU to speak up for a better built environment that supports more walking and biking! Wyandotte County now seeks public input on the proposed 2020 budget.
How to provide input
The Unified Government (UG) has a budget input form that residents and community stakeholders can use to speak up for safer streets for everyone. You can access a copy of that form by clicking here.
When complete, you can either email it to email@example.com or mail it to:
Unified Government Budget Office
701 N. 7th Street, Suite 510
Kansas City, KS 66101
Be sure to complete and submit your copy of the form by Noon on Friday, March 13. Not sure what to say?
Consider the following talking points to encourage the UG to:
- Support investments in transit, including route preservation, bus stop improvements, and additional signage.
- Budget for upkeep and maintenance of park equipment, including playgrounds, fountains, benches, and restrooms.
- Support Safe Routes to School programming in local schools to make it safer for kids to walk and bike to school.
Questions? Contact Michael Kelley, BikeWalkKC policy manager.