The recent passage of the ballot measure to build a new terminal for KCI has already brought a number of benefits to the City of Fountains. In addition to demonstrating that our city can come together for an important cause, it is a prime example of the next chapter in Kansas City’s development. But while we have agreed to better travel in the skies, the same can’t be said for the streets that we drive, ride, and walk upon.
BikeWalkKC, along with the American Heart Association and KC Healthy Kids, has been hard at work with dozens of stakeholders over the past few months to advocate for the passage of a Complete Streets ordinance in KCMO. Complete Streets are safe, comfortable and convenient for people of all ages. Through our CompleteKC campaign, we’re getting close to bringing Complete Streets to Kansas City.
We actively advocate for this concept for a number of reasons. Among other things, Complete Streets:
- Contribute to better health outcomes
- Can benefit low-income and minority communities
- Increase environmental sustainability
- Can spur economic development
- Improve safety for all modes of transportation
An ordinance that institutionalizes the practice of building streets for all modes of travel regardless of age or ability is a necessary step for biking and walking in KCMO.
At this point, we expect the ball to start rolling pretty quickly. We expect the Complete Streets ordinance to be officially introduced to City Council on December 7th where it will be referred to the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. That committee will likely vote on the measure on December 14th. If it passes there, the full City Council should take it up on December 21st.
There are a number of ways you can help bring Complete Streets to Kansas City!
- First, use the form below to send a quick note to your city council member expressing your support. We've made it easy for you to share your thoughts via email, Twitter, or Facebook.
- Second, join us at the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee meeting on December 14th at 8:45 a.m. (subject to change).
- Finally, tell your friends and neighbors! The more people who add their voice, the greater the chance that this measure will pass.
If you would like to support the Complete Streets ordinance on behalf of an organization or neighborhood, feel free to use one of our letter samples to customize a message on your letterhead. Please send that back to us by emailing Karen.Campbell@BikeWalkKC.org.
This is an exciting time for BikeWalkKC and for Kansas City! There is still a lot to do, but we’re confident that the City of Fountains is well on its way to Complete Streets for all.
Take Action Now
KCMO residents, contact your City Council members and let them know you support Complete Streets!