The beginning of 2016 isn’t just a new year here it BikeWalkKC. It’s also the beginning of our fifth year – incorporating in late 2010 and publicly launching in Spring 2011. We spent much of 2015 reflecting on our tremendous successes so far, and planning for the next five years. The result is a new mission, vision, and strategic plan to guide our work through 2020.
Our mission is to redefine our streets as places for people to build a culture of active living.
We see a community that is barrier free, has complete biking and walking access, and has a connected culture of active transportation and active lifestyles.
1. MEMBERSHIP: Create a more valuable member experience that is personally inviting and builds a socially connected sustainable community.
2. EDUCATION: Educate the people of Kansas City to the benefits of an active and connected lifestyle.
3. ADVOCACY: Be an ally to decision makers and leaders that share our vision and an advocate for those that have yet to seek a balanced and better transportation future.
4. EVENTS: Plan, promote and support events that bring our citizens together in activities that increase health, sustainability, and socialization.
5. PUBLIC POLICY: Make apparent and address the isolation and the diminished personal freedoms created by auto-centric biases.
6. NEIGHBORHOOD DEVELOPMENT: Support and lead efforts to preserve and rebuild safe neighborhoods and streets.
7. SUSTAINABILITY: Sustain and grow the work of the Organization.
We are excited to share this document with our members, partners, stakeholders, and the larger Kansas City community. It will be our guiding framework for our work to help make KC a better place to walk, bike, live, work, and visit.
This is a living document. We hope you will read it, send us your thoughts and suggestions, and help us refine it going forward.
This new strategic plan is the culmination of hours and hours of hard work by our staff, board members, community partners, and others. We owe each and every one of them a big round of applause.
BikeWalkKC members who responded to our survey and provided other input.
- Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City
- Mid-America Regional Council
- Westside Housing Organization
- LISC – Local Investments Support Corporation
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City
- Kansas City Area Transportation Authority
- Jackson County, MO
- Kansas City Star
Peer Bike/Ped Organizations
- Alliance for Biking and Walking
- Bike Pittsburgh
- San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
- Bike/Walk RVA (Richmond, VA)
Strategic Planning Consultants
- Tom Dugard, Affirmational Consulting
- Gene Dooley & Associates