Michael contributes to BikeWalkKC’s efforts to change the built environment and policy landscape in a way that supports a culture of active living in the Kansas City region and beyond. His work includes support of the successful campaign for a Complete Streets ordinance in Kansas City, Missouri as well as helping to cultivate statewide coalitions for active transportation in Kansas and Missouri.
Additionally, Michael assists with BikeWalkKC’s community outreach and communication efforts. In that capacity, Michael has worked to bring attention to the deaths of vulnerable road users in the metro and inform the public of ways to make their voices heard on issues related to alternative modes of transportation.
Prior to joining BikeWalkKC, Michael worked for such organizations as the Overland Park Chamber of Commerce and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. He earned his Master of Public Administration from the University of Missouri-Kansas City and his BA in political science and international studies from Kansas State University.
In addition to his duties as BikeWalkKC, Michael serves as a member of the Environmental Management Commission for the City of Kansas City, Missouri and as a member of the Board of Directors for InterUrban ArtHouse, an arts-based nonprofit located in Overland Park. He is also a member of the 2020 class of the Centurions Leadership Program.
Michael in the news:
- August 2019 - KCUR 89.3: She Had Never Considered Kansas City's Streets Dangerous. Then, A Car Hit Her.
- April 2019 - Northeast News: Ride in Paradise
- April 2019 - KSHB-41 Action News: Groups Split on Necessity, Cost of Bike KC Master Plan
- April 2019 - KCUR 89.3: Cycling, Class, and Race
- November 2018 - KSHB-41 Action News: After "ghost bike" goes missing, fundraising efforts underway for memorial to slain cyclist
- September 2018 - KSHB-41 Action News: Residents share concerns, hopes for east KCMO development
- August 2018 - KCUR 89.3: August is Deadliest Month for Kansas City Pedestrians in 2018
- August 2018 - Fox 4: Devastated family begs for driver to come forward in deadly KC hit-and-run crash
- August 2018 - Northeast News: Local man pleads guilty to to manslaughter in bicyclist's death
- August 2018 - Kansas City Star: Driver who killed KC bicyclist gets 120 days in prison
- August 2018 - Fox 4: Family doesn’t understand ‘soft sentence’ for driver who killed Kansas City cyclist
- August 2018 - KCTV5: Man sentenced to up to 7 years in prison in 2016 death of Kansas City cyclist
- August 2018 - KSHB-41 Action News: Man who killed cyclist in 2016 will serve 120 days in prison
- August 2018 - Fox 4: New 3-mile protected bike lane opens on Armour Boulevard
- July 2018 - KCTV5: Push for change after Peculiar officer crashes into bicyclist
- March 2018 - Northeast News: BikeWalkKC Coming to the Northeast
- November 2017 - KSHB-41 Action News: Plan to privatize Westport sidewalks on hold
- December 2017 - Kansas City Star: Don't sleep on Westport: Why sidewalk privatization is still a bad idea
- December 2017 - KCTV5: City council to vote on privatization of Westport sidewalks