BikeWalkKC is now hiring for this part-time, seasonal role serving dozens of schools and thousands of kids every year, making a direct impact on the health and happiness of our youth that extends to our entire community. Help kids become safer, healthier, more confident, and more engaged in the world around them.
If you have a passion for bicycling, want to make a positive impact on children’s lives, be an excellent role model, and work with a great team of people, then we want to hear from you! BikeWalkKC is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from minority and female candidates.
Status: Part-time, non-exempt
Reports to: Education Programs Manager
Compensation: $15.60 per hour
Located at: 1106 East 30th Street in Midtown Kansas City, MO
(Travel around the KC metro area is required)
Posted September 1st, 2022. Open until filled
This position is responsible for delivering three primary programs for elementary, middle, and high school students.
- BLAST (Bike Lesson And Safety Training): bike safety and bike skills with a mobile fleet of bikes that travel to elementary schools.
- Earn-A-Bike: bike repair and maintenance skills, usually in an after-school setting.
- Youth Ambassadors/Bike Club: empowerment and community engagement for middle and high school students.
These programs usually occur in school sites throughout the Greater Kansas City metro area during the school day. However, some classes may occur in other settings in the evening or on the weekends. School districts include KCMO, KCK/USD 500, Grandview, Hickman Mills, Kearney, North Kansas City, Olathe, Park Hill, Raytown, and Shawnee Mission. Additional school districts may participate from time to time.
Instructors use an established curriculum with key objectives, sequenced content, and pre-test and post-tests. Class sessions are usually one hour of instruction time, plus set up and break down. This position is seasonal. Most hours are available during the school year, generally September to November and March to May, with occasional summer school classes in June and July. It is ideal for candidates seeking a part-time job, including college students and retirees.
- Teaching BLAST classes for 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students during P.E. class
- Teaching Earn-a-Bike classes for elementary students after school
- Leading Youth Ambassador training for middle/high school students
- Administering tests before and after each series of classes
- Loading and unloading bikes, helmets, and other equipment from large trucks
- Providing monthly, detailed time sheets
- Administering pre- and post-course tests
- Communicating with P.E. teachers or other school personnel as needed (e.g. weather cancellations)
- Assisting with other events like bike rodeos, school fairs, etc.
- Truck cleaning and bike maintenance
- Assisting with Walking School Buses
- Assisting with arrival and dismissal observations
New instructors will attend curriculum trainings and observe at least one class session prior to teaching on their own. Additional trainings may be assigned as needed.
Youth Instructors must be friendly, outgoing, patient, and comfortable working with kids and adolescents from a diversity of cultural backgrounds. You will be working in a wide ride of urban and suburban schools across the region.
- Positive attitude
- Willingness to learn new knowledge and skills
- Ability to make decisions with little supervision
- Flexibility to work with a changing schedule
- Ability to lift approximately 20 pounds repeatedly
- Reliable transportation to school sites all over the metro area. Carpooling with other instructors is possible in many but not all cases. Some sites may be difficult to reach by public transportation or bicycling.
- Previous experience working with children and with bicycles is not required, but you must be eager to learn both quickly
All instructors must pass a criminal background check and adhere to BikeWalkKC’s Code of Conduct for working with children.
- Bicycle maintenance skills
- Previous experience working with children and/or bicycles
To apply for the Youth Instructor position please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the phrase “Instructor” in the subject line of your email message. We accept applications year-round and interview candidates on a rolling basis. Instructors are most needed during the spring and fall months.
No phone calls, please.
BikeWalkKC is the region’s professional advocacy and education organization. We are a growing team of passionate and hard-working advocates, educators, planners, and social entrepreneurs making Kansas City a better place to live, work, and play. Our culture is collaborative and supportive, encouraging risk-taking, excellence, and constant learning. You will work hard, have fun, and make an impact on the community.
Commitment to Equity and Diversity
BikeWalkKC has a commitment to support diversity and equal opportunity in its services, administration, employment, research, and activities. As such we strive to foster a working environment that values contributions from team members regardless of race, color, creed, gender, religion, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity, mental disabilities, physical disabilities, or veteran status.