Posted: May 28th, 2021 and open until filled
Status: Full-time, hourly, non-exempt.
Reports to: Director of Education and works closely with Program Manager and other members of the education team
Location: 1106 East 30th Street, Suite G, Kansas City, MO 64109
Schedule: Standard weekday schedule with some evening and weekends required
The Education Outreach Coordinator contributes to BikeWalkKC’s mission by serving as our primary liaison to local schools and other community groups hosting our youth education programs, working with each partner to plan and coordinate a range of classes and educational programs appropriate to the needs of students and school communities. The Coordinator has primary responsibility for scheduling classes, personnel, equipment, and vehicles – and also works with our instructors and marketing/events team.
BikeWalkKC has one of the country’s largest Safe Routes to School and Youth Education programs in the active transportation and active living sectors. We serve thousands of students each year, primarily at dozens of schools plus other community sites across the KC metro area. The Coordinator is key to ensuring these programs are successfully planned to efficiently serve our students, partners, and their communities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Communicates with new schools and other partners about our program offerings and how they can meet school’s transportation, recreation, and youth development needs
- Schedules and coordinates schools, instructors, bike fleets, vehicles, and trailers
- Coordinates and conducts outreach to new schools
- Will do some teaching, mostly as a substitute or fill-in
- Will coordinate curriculum updates as arranged by the Education Manager or Education Director
- Works with Education Operations Coordinator to ensure that fleets are maintained and equipment is functioning and well supplied
- Will sometimes coordinate and teach adult education programs
- Data management, data entry, and reporting
- Other duties as assigned
Qualities needed to be successful in this position
- Diligent attention to detail
- Highly organized
- Creative problem solving
- Ability to organize ambiguous information
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to take direction and then execute tasks independently
- Good time management skills
- Comfortable asking clarifying questions
- High level of cultural competency and sensitivity
- Sense of humor!
- Previous experience in project management, event coordination, or similar
- Previous instruction/teaching experience
- A commitment to BikeWalkKC’s mission, vision, and values
This position coordinates programs that focus on highly diverse communities in the urban core and first-ring suburbs. Preferred applicants will demonstrate professional and/or lived experience in one or more of these communities.
- Bilingual in English/other languages highly preferred
- League of American Bicyclists’ Cycling Instructor certification (LCI), or willingness to become certified at employer’s expense
- Google Workspace (G-Suite)
- When I Work or similar employee scheduling software
- Google Calendar, Doodle, Calendly, or similar meeting scheduling software
Compensation and Benefits
- $16.00/hour, full-time
- Paid time off and health insurance reimbursement
- SIMPLE IRA with employer match after 12 months of employment
- Employee Assistance Program
- Phone reimbursement
- Employee discounts on bike supplies/accessories and outdoor merchandise
- Professional development opportunities
- Bike Share membership
- Office located next to Bike Share hub and fast/frequent transit services
Schedule and remote work
BikeWalkKC is currently in a hybrid working environment, with most office-based staff working partially remote. This position will require some work in the office to handle logistics and equipment, and will be expected to spend the majority of time in the office when it fully reopens.
How to apply
- Send cover letter and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Put “Education Outreach Coordinator” in the email subject line
- No phone calls
Offers of employment are conditional on completion of a background check on criminal history and driving record. Any results relevant to this position will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
BikeWalkKC is a team of passionate and hard-working advocates, educators, planners, and social entrepreneurs making Kansas City a better place to live, work, and play through professional advocacy and education. Our culture is collaborative and supportive, encouraging risk-taking, excellence, and constant learning. You will work hard, have fun, and make an impact on the community.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
BikeWalkKC is committed to supporting diversity and equal opportunity in its services, administration, and employment, as well as research and activities. We strive to foster a working environment that values contributions from team members regardless of race, color, creed, gender, religion, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity, mental disabilities, physical disabilities, or veteran status. We work with a wide range of external partners and stakeholders, and we seek candidates who are committed to their own cultural competency. We recognize this is especially important for a majority-white organization often working in communities of color.
People of color, women, and members of the LGBT+ community are encouraged to apply.