BikeWalkKC’s Professional Development Series helps transportation professionals and public agency staff design and build better, safer, and more useful bike/pedestrian facilities. Our goal is to improve the practice of bike/ped in the metro area by educating professionals, sharing best practices, and providing real world experience of local facilities from perspective of people who walk and bike.
This program is geared towards any professional involved in the planning, design, and construction of bike/ped facilities. This includes planners, engineers, landscape architects, and others working in public works, parks and recreation, city planning, transportation, public health, or similar departments at public agencies. Private engineering and consulting firms are also welcome to participate.
- Overview of standard and innovative facilities
- Best practices from the US and abroad
- Good and bad local examples
- Intensive bike skills and bike safety training in classroom and outside on the bike
- Walking audit of local pedestrian facilities
- Group bike ride to practice new bike skills and tour local bike facilities
- Customized content specific to your group’s goals and needs
- Lunch and Learn Series – four installments covering the key concepts
- Bicycle Transportation Planning Workshop – intensive all-day technical and skills training, including time on a bicycle
Scheduling occurs on an ongoing basis. This series is available free of charge to public agencies on the Missouri side of the Kansas City metro area, thanks to STP funding from MARC and MoDOT. Eligible agencies include cities, counties, school districts, universities, and transit agencies. Kansas public agencies and private firms are welcome to join on a fee basis. Please contact us for pricing information.
These workshops are eligible for Professional Development Hours for Engineers, Architects and Landscape Architects. Please consult your state’s professional licensing office for submittable requirements. All attendees receive a certificate at the conclusion of the workshop.
Training sessions are led by a BikeWalkKC’s nationally certified bicycling instructors and certified transportation professionals.
How to bring the Professional Development Series to your agency
For larger agencies or firms we will work with you to schedule a day-long session for all of your interested staff. For smaller agencies or firms, we will coordinate combined sessions with several clients.
This program is a partnership between BikeWalkKC and the Mid-America Regional Council. Funding for Missouri public agencies is provided by an STP grant administered by the Missouri Department of Transportation.