By Karl Kraemer, BikeWalkKC Education Operations Coordinator
What’s New! Youth Education:
Summer seems to be flying by, and BikeWalkKC’s education crew is preparing for a sixth season of youth education programming in schools. August and September are already full for our popular BLAST program, with an anticipated 900 students participating spanning third through sixth graders.
- We are excited to be piloting a K-2 pedestrian curriculum this fall to give younger students education about safety crossing the street, and rules of the road.
- We’ve expanded modules in our popular BLAST program, to include a Pre-BLAST program for 3rd and 4th graders learning how to ride, and a BLAST 2.0 program for older elementary and advanced riders.
- This semester we will be bringing our curriculum to the Independence School District for the first time at Santa Fe Trail Elementary! We
- We’ll be expanding to more schools in Olathe, the Shawnee Mission School District, Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools, and North Kansas City Schools.
- Students at St. Agnes Catholic School will participate in our Earn-A-Bike and Active Ambassadors programs.
Interested in becoming a BikeWalkKC Instructor? The Education team is looking for a few additional instructors to help with fall classes and outreach activities. Please send resumes to email@example.com if you want to learn more!
- It’s summertime, and whether you’ve been riding or not, your bike needs some love! Spend an evening in BikeWalkKC’s air-conditioned shop, learning bicycle maintenance from our education staff and getting hands-on experience with tuning up your own bike.
- Thursday, August 10th, 6pm – 8:30 pm at BWKC’s office located at 3269 Gillham Rd.
- BikeWalkKC’s popular Confident City Cycling series returns for its third installment in 2017. Join us on Tuesday evenings in August for a safe and supportive place to learn bike handling skills, rules of the road, and other tips and tricks – all skill levels are welcome.
- Learn new concepts for navigating streets and build practical bike handling skills necessary for city riding. This intensive series teaches safety knowledge and bike handling skills, culminating with a group bike ride in a safe and supporting environment.
- Tuesdays, August 15, 22, and 29 from 6pm – 8:30 pm at BWKC’s office located at 3269 Gillham Rd.
Keep up with our calendar, and add your own activities, at https://bikewalkkc.org/events/.
Have questions or want to learn more about our Education programs? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.