Eric’s interest in pedestrian and bicycle advocacy dates back to his days as a cross country and track athlete in high school and college. His daily runs opened his eyes to the value of human-paced exploration. After college, living in Columbia Missouri, he discovered the power of bike lanes, trails, and good sidewalks as a way to increase our physical activity and improve safety. There he began teaching bicycling commuting skills as a part-time staffer with the PedNet Coalition. Later, he spent some time as an intern with BikeDenver in Denver, CO. And in 2010 he joined the staff of the Missouri Foundation for Biking and Walking, beginning his full-time career in active transportation advocacy.
Now Eric as BikeWalkKC’s Policy Director most of his time is dedicated to increasing public awareness on the topic of active transportation and the built environment. It is Eric’s belief that transformation can only happen by building relationships with community stakeholders and elevating the collective understanding of how streets and public spaces impact quality of life. He attempts to connect the dots between the community’s vision of active transportation to the policymakers who ultimately affect the built environment. Eric serves as the chair of the Kansas City, Missouri Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee. One of his current projects is SidewalksKC, an initiative to improve sidewalk policy through active engagement of a diverse stakeholder group.
Eric in the news
- July 2018 – KC Star: Will Kansas City ever be bike-friendly? The city is about to roll out a plan
- June 2018 – KSHB Action 41:Beardsley Road closure causing headaches for city, cyclists
- May 2018 – WDAF-Fox 4: Long delayed bike lanes finally installed in Midtown
- May 2018 – KSHB Action 41: Protected and connected bike lanes billed as future for biking in KC
- May 2018 – KCTV5: Rails to trails: The project transforming the Rock Island Corridor
- April 2018 – KCUR’s Central Standard: KC’s Bike Infrastructure
- April 2017 – KSHB Action 41:Plan for dangerous Kansas City intersection raises concern
- February 2018 – KSHB Action 41: KCMO cutting costs for property owners to install bike racks
- January 2018 – KCTV5: Amid pedestrian deaths, advocates and planners push for change
- January 2018 – Next City: Kansas City Privatizes Sidewalks in Rowdy Entertainment District
- October 2017 – KCTV5: New path offers protection to bicyclists
- September 2017 – KSHB Action 41: Bicyclists advocate for change in mindset as KC adds bike lanes
- August 2017 – Cyclists could get their wish for Grand Boulevard by late October
- May 2017 – KCUR’s Central Standard: Kansas City’s Bike Infrastructure
- April 2017 – KCTV5: Kansas City holds meeting to discuss new bike plan
- April 2017 – WDAF-TV Fox 4: City leaders consider expansion of bike lanes on city streets
- April 2017 – Flatland Blog: Ever thought of it? Sidewalks play big role in community health
- April 2017 – KMBC 9 News: Kansas City making changes to be more bike friendly
- March 2017 – KSHB Action 41: Sidewalk improvements pedestrian safety up to KC voters
- March 2017 – Kansas City Star: KC pushes ‘complete street’ approach to plan for bond projects
- Feb. 2017 – WDAF-TV Fox 4: Plan to reconnect neighborhoods could eliminate north side of downtown loop
- Feb. 2017 – KCTV 5: City planners working on how to make KC bicycle-friendly
- Feb. 2017 – Streetsblog: Kansas City will take a serious look at removing downtown highway segment
- Feb. 2017 – Kansas City Star: Bond issue gives Kansas Citians chance to fix a hard problem: Miles of broken sidewalks
- Jan. 2017 – The Pitch: Grand Boulevard is anything but for cyclists – but bike advocates have a new voice
- Dec. 2016 – KCUR 89.3: Kansas City to rethink Bike Plan following harsh audit
- Nov. 2016 – Streetsblog: Kansas City Doesn’t Need New Roads – It Needs Sidewalks
- Oct. 2016 – 90.9 The Bridge: Walk to School Day
- Sept. 2016 – KCTV 5: City Officials Take More Steps to Accommodate Cyclists
- August 2016 – Kansas City Star: The Battle at 49th & Main: Should Stoplights Be Removed?
- March 2016 – WDAF-TV Fox 4: Midtown Cyclists Push for More Bike Lanes
- July 2015 – KSHB 41: Leeds Trafficway to Undergo a “Road Diet”
- March 2015 – KCUR 89.3: Long-Abandoned Railway to Connect KC to the Katy Trail
- August 2014 – WDAF-TV Fox 4: Kansas City to expand bike share program
- June 2014 – KCUR 89.3: A check-in on the state of bicycle infrastructure in Kansas City.
- February 2014 – The Pitch: Talk Shop.
- Sept. 2013 – KCUR 89.3: Is Kansas City Bike Friendly?
- TEDxUMKC: We swallowed a fly.
- Ink Magazine, August 2013: Five die-hard cyclists and why they ride.